Friday, April 29, 2011

The Endorsement: Open-Ended Travel

I had the amazing opportunity to take two weeks and travel abroad recently, and I'm sure I will be posting multiple thoughts and photos from the trip in the coming weeks. Put simply, here is a recommendation for anyone looking for a way to truly enjoy a slice of life if you are able: book an open-ended, multi-destination trip somewhere abroad. Make sure your train reservations are transferrable and your hotels have a 24-hour cancellation policy, and just go.

The most memorable moments of my trip involved busses when I thought I had tickets for trains, figuring out a Slovakian public transportation system at 9:30 p.m. without a translation book, ordering off a menu written entirely in Italian from a waiter who didn't speak a lick of English, the option of spending an extra night anywhere I ended up, walking 30 blocks with luggage from a train station to a poorly marked hotel and spending an extra 30 minutes at a cafe to enjoy another glass of wine and just watch people because I didn't have any place to be at any particular time.

These are the types of experiences that will make you feel a little less significant and empowered at the same time. The world is a big place, and if you don't take the time to let go, be okay with whatever comes your way and just enjoy the moment every once in a while, you'll miss most of what the world has to offer.







No comments:

Post a Comment