Sunday, August 14, 2011

The Endorsement: Random Compliments

Walking home from work one day this past week, a woman was leaving my building with a friend as I was entering. It happened to be one of the not-so-frequent days when I was dressed up a little more than normal. The woman (who I've never met) stopped, looked at me and said, "You look really put together today. That shirt looks great on you." And then she continued the conversation with her friend and went on her way.

I don't think I'm a person who needs positive reinforcement all of the time, but I'm also not immune to walking a little taller and smiling a little wider after someone provides a random compliment. It doesn't take much to compliment someone - their shirt, hair, shoes, watch, or even their smile - and the result is that you've probably made someone feel a little better, and a little more confident.

My goal this week is to find one person to compliment each day - something little, something nice, and something that will hopefully make someone's day. If you're reading this, give it a shot this week and let me know what type of reaction you receive. It feels good to be genuinely nice to people...

1 comment:

  1. I love this post. You're right...we don't/shouldn't need something nice said to us each day, but boy can it add some pep to your step. Great challenge!

    ReplyDelete